Sunday, November 27, 2011

Completed: Amelia Owl-Hart... takes flight!


Over the last 5 weeks I've been in Juliette Crane'sHow to Paint an Owl e-course working on my Parliament of Owls and have been enjoying the process so much!! There have been times when I was frustrated, but I got through it and I think I am a better artist  (yeah, I'll refer to myself like that for the sake of this post) for it! 

I've learned more than was taught ... if that makes sense. I've learned things about myself on and off the canvas. Mostly about letting go and taking risks. Its freeing, especially when creating and I love it :)

It really is okay to not like something and start over, or at least get to a point where you can be happy and pick up again. Its amazing how many emotions you can experience while working on a single painting, but mostly it is a love-hate relationship  :)

I find that my creativity has a shelf life and when its open I have to use it or I lose it. Which also means when its done for the day, its done! Sometimes its an hour and sometimes its 6! 

Where that creative journey will take me isn't always clear. There are times when I have an obvious goal in mind and times where I am doing loop-de-loops over the same parts. That is generally my clue to move on to something else. 

When a project is sitting in the wings waiting for me to return it is never really out of my mind. I revisit it often always wondering what my next move will be.  I have a list of things I love and that make me smile. So when in a slump I can literally pull out my list of loves... Scarfs ... Check!

Once on a roll, when I'm really in "The Zone" I'm working on a sub-conscious level. I move fast, with ease and nary a doubt in mind ... I just seem to make things happen. Does that make sense?

Before you know it, its all fallen into place ... all of these parts make sense and tell a story ... if you care to hear my version of it and how I arrived at this finished piece then ask away! For now my heart is soaring over the completion of this; Amelia Owl-Hart.

I think everyone should take this course and see where the journey takes you. Keep in mind that you do not need to know how to draw or paint ... you will learn. Juliette has the best techniques and teaching style so you feel like you are getting one-on-one instruction from the comfort of your own home! She's always there to encourage you and help you if needed and is only an email away. :)  

I know prior to the course I was very leery about (avoided) labeling myself as an artist, but after this class I could get use to the idea. I've definitely gained confidence and have a new perspective on how I approach my work. I for-see great artistic things in my future, very exciting!!

5 comments:

  1. Julie...I am so excited for you. Seems that we are at a similar place in life. I am cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely an artist! That is a beautiful work, and a beautiful story! I do understand the hesitation to call oneself an artist though. I am just beginning my dedicated journey as an artist, and I was hesitant at first. But it feels freeing and empowering to use the word. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is wonderful, I loved that you shared your process as well. Perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say it was a delight to wake up to 3 comments! I'm so glad you all like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so intrigued by this. You have trouble calling yourself an artist, and yet I am so positively sure by your art that you are. I think you and I are in very similar places in our process of embracing that title. Maybe others see mine and think the same. In fact, a woman was in my house the other day and wanted to buy one off my wall (which is the only place I've "shown" them so far) and another woman said "Wow, you're like a real artist." And yet I am so filled with "ehh, i'm not so sure" feelings that it's hard to run with that title. but i'm telling you, you're an artist. and yeah, so am I . Let's run with it.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts ... leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!